Friday 19 February 2010

The Bishop


Mitered Bishop with his crozier held high
Waves his hand in mock goodbye.
The bells peel out; the choir all sing,
Priest stoops to kiss the sacred ring.
Purple,scarlet robes of glory,
If only the vestments could tell a story
Congregation mumble a forgotten hymn
And hide the truth from deep within.

Distrust and envy, disgust and hate!
Critiscm that cannot wait.
Ignore the bible s' written word,
A family life that seems absurd.
Darkness fills where light once shon,
Empty churches, prayers all gone.
Modern thinking says that it’s okay
'God doesn't mind if the Bishops gay'

©Rosewing

2 comments:

Eleanor Edwards said...

Hi Phil,
After all your kind support over on Twitter, I thought it was about time I check out your blog. This poem sums up for me all that is wrong with organised religion in this country. I'm a Christian. I love Jesus. But I hate the way 'the church' has become so tangled up in scandel and judgement when it should be representing Jesus' love to a sad world.

Eleanor
@GiveABrick

Rosewing said...

Thanks for the comment I agree entirely The church does itself no favours A man who perhaps never goes to church but has God in his heart is every much a Christian,probably more so,than some the regular church goers